Thursday, September 4, 2008

First day of school!


Jasper started school this week! He's attending Pre-K at our local elementary school, which means all day, every day. I was worried about this, but I think he's going to be just fine. His teacher is the warmest, most lovey-dovey teacher you could ask for, and her assistant also seems sweet.

Ah, but public school in New York City... I knew what was coming but I was still a little surprised at how much the class needs. We parents picked up items from the teachers' wish list, things like a small refrigerator, a printer, and computer software. I may pick up a few plants over the weekend. There was a bare-bones feeling to the clean, tidy room. Soon it will be covered with kid art classroom charts.

It was a quick lesson on how important parent involvement is to the public school experience. I have friends sending their children to private schools and couldn't help imagining how different their classroom experiences must be. Still, this seems to be the kind of teacher who makes love and imagination go a long way. I think it will be a great year.

2 comments:

D.C. Confidential said...

Yeah, Jasper! Have lots and lots of fun.

Hevansrich said...

Good for you! We are big public school proponents here, I hope that your school year is a wonderful one.
You will be a dream parent for the teacher no doubt, involved, interested and willing to help out.

(ps our family blog is up and running now!
Click on my profile below to check it out)